Thank you for expressing an interest in being part of the creation of the new JaxDUG website. This is an excellent opportunity for you to give feedback on the website and to learn a few skills on the way. If everything comes together as planned, we will be setting the grounds for the community to really flourish in Jacksonville by having a central location for us to share knowledge and help out others in the community at the same time.
In this page you will find everything you need to know in order to get started on the project. This includes the website specifications so you know what is required and what to expect while working on this project, a questionnaire to help us get to know you a little better, resource links with learning material and needed links to participate in this project.
For those that are new to the technology listed below in the website specification I would highly recommend checking out the sections in the resource links and running through some tutorials to get a general understanding of what is happening. asp.net mvc
is a completely different beast from asp.net web forms
( Friends don't let friends...
). If you are not familiar with MVC (I want my M..
), I would highly recommend at least running through the Music Store tutorial.
So, if you are ready to begin coding, here are the things you will need to do to get started.
- Make sure you have the needed software downloaded and installed.
- Visual Studio 2010 or 11 or 2012
- MVC 3
- Any source control that can talk to codeplex ( some version of visual studio, AnkhSvn, or TortoiseSvn to name a few)
- Register on Codeplex, download the source code
- Fill out the questionnaire below and send it to us
- Make sure to include your Codeplex account
- Subscribe to our email list so we can keep in contact easier
- Look over the resource links and get familiar with the technologies
- If you are new to this area I recommend the Music Store tutorial then the Contoso Tutorial
- If you are new to C# I recommend the C# fundamentals for a quick start
- Give opinions and learn some while there as well
- Volunteer for tasks
- Review past meeting notes
- Visuals Studio 2010/2012
- C# 4.0
- MVC 3 (Moving to 4 as soon as it is released)
- HTML 5
- CSS 3
- Source Control: Codeplex.com
To help us understand the skill sets we are working with and get to know you better please reply with the following form filled out. This information will not disqualify you, it is purely to understand the skill sets available so be as honest as possible.
1. What is your full name?
2. What is your email address?
3. Can you be contacted if someone on the team needs help with the project?
4. What is your phone number?
5. What day of the week and time of day would work best for a bi-weekly meeting?
(if you don't have an account register for one)
6. Stack Overflow:
8. Google Moderator:
11. How many years of OOP programming do you have?
12. Do you have UI/Graphic Design experience?
13. Do you have any other skills that could be useful for this project?
14. What areas do you specialize in?
15. How many hours a week can you commit to this project? (approx)
16. Do you know anyone else who would be good for this project that would be interested?
17. Is there something else you would like to mention?
Please rate your experience levels
( 0 - None, 1 - Did some reading, 2 - Did some tutorials, 3 - Work with it, 4 - Carry my own, 5 - I feel I'm a 5! )
- Expression UI Design: